What is this?

This is a documentation of the Foam Cabinet. The Foam Cabinet doesn't technically exist physically. I could tell you exactly WHAT it is, but I won't. Just because.

Remember that this isn't literally accurate; most of what is said is symbolic.

But all of this is real. In a way.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Ties. Like A Knot.



Hello, hello.

Previous days have shown me something important. Previous days and the Foam Cabinet, of course.


As I taste the delicate pleasures of sugary coffee every other morning;
As I feel the silky smoothness of my fresh clean clothes;
As I glance at the ever-changing digits on the clock;
I leave the house for the day.


My nose stings from sudden chill.
My hair rustles from common winds.
My feet set course for a new day's beginning.
I arrive at school.


The silence of the outdoors is replaced by the clamor of socialization.
The deep thoughts from my solitude are replaced by the small talk of friendly life accomplices.
The can-do attitude of the previous late night is replaced by the emotionless droll of an early morning.
I finish my classes.


Afternoon instills relief as I walk away from half my life.
Evening provokes inspiration as I converse with peers and fill my stomach.
Night ensures a deletion of memories from the weeks and months before, making room for new ones.
I wake up, and my life continues.


Not every day is exactly like the next. Each is filled with different thoughts of different people. How I can either  express myself or fit in; both are relatively easy. How I can change habits to better someone's life, make new ones, or destroy every remnant of displeasing ones. How I can choose to be upset, or choose to be happy.

These days are "normal" days.

Boring days.

Solitary days.




Now, when I look at a new classmate, I should realize that she probably already knows of my existence. Who else in the school has radiant red hair and a completely gender-confused wardrobe? Will I choose to be boring and forget she exists? Just sit there and pray that her days are good?


Or will I get out of my conceited little bubble and be a friend?


Turns out, every person I meet is important. This fact should not surprise me.
Not only is every person important, but each of us are tied to each other in spectacular ways.

I'm not talking about the gibberish of "we're all connected through magic" or "our ancestors were all monkeys" or any other junk like that. I'm talking about the ties we make ourselves by getting out in the world. The ties of family.
The ties of childhood friendship.
The ties of common interest.
The ties of authority.
The ties of similar drives.
The ties of respect.
The ties of love.
The ties of trying a little harder to simply get out there and make someone's life all the more better.




And who we're tied to determines who we are ourselves; what we do and how we do it. If I don't like the knot I see, then the simple answer to my problem is to break the tie, or form a different one in a different way. If I do like the knot in my rope, I can pull it tighter, so it stays a little longer.

So guess what the Foam Cabinet had shown me?

1 comment:

  1. First, he said my story was cool..... and then he called me bro! >.<

    ReplyDelete

The Favored Posts of the General Public